Tuning a Duo/Art player piano

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr at srvinet.com
Sat Jul 1 07:48:46 MDT 2006

Hi Samuel,
You have recieved some great answers so I will only add to the information
you have recieved.
The parts that are in the way can be used to help you tune.
If you remove the screw on the right side holding the mute. loosen the left,
and a screw from one of the braces so that you can swing the brace out of
the way. You can then lift the mute arm up ( careful not to bend it ) then
return the brace to hold the mute up <G>
If there are no braces, or they are not where you want them you can use an
extra hammer on a tuning pin to do the same thing.
Usually the bass can be tuned without moving the mute. Its at the break
where things get in the way.
Just yesterday I mentioned my favorite mute for uprights, the LONG split
rubber mute.
You can single mute tune with an ETD but I much preffer the split single as
I can still tune the center string first and then the outside strings to the
center. With exception of the  notes at the tenor treble break to the end of
the dampers.
Here sometimes it is necessary to tune the left string, center to right and
then the left to the other two.
Yes I have used the papps mute but do not care for the sound as the hammer
hits the string.
And with the split mute I drill a hole in the end of the spring steel handle
and attach a foot long length of  'Spider Wire'  with a fishing swivel to a
wide rubber mute.
You do not want to have a mute pop out and fall into the action without some
way to retrieve it.
Good luck and be patient <G>
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools