rebuilding deadlines/angry client

Michelle Smith michelle at cdaustin.com
Sat Jul 1 21:52:31 MDT 2006

I'm deeply sympathetic about this serious health crisis, but had no way of
knowing that was the case. My messages to her were polite, and professional
and without the benifit of a crystal ball. It was understood that payment
was expected upon completion.

Coming from a long line of entrepreneurs, I can hear my dad's voice saying
that emotions must be set aside.  Yes, the customer is going through hard
times but you're also not making any money for your family.  So her choices
are either to pay in full, pay in installments and you keep the piano in
storage until X amount is paid (the storage fees are added to the bill), or
you take legal action.  This may be some sort of claims court.  (I'm not a
legal expert!)  I've also read in the Randy Potter course about Oregon's
chattel lien where if you've paid for the parts and the customer doesn't pay
his/her bill, the property becomes yours after a certain amount of time.
(Similar to the dry cleaner taking possession of your clothes after 30
days.)  I don't know how that would work in your situation since she's paid
50%.  Maybe you could cut the piano down the middle.  =)

I know someone is going to say this is all very brutal.  I totally agree
with Dale's statement about talking to someone else in the family.  I wish
you the best of luck as you resolve this issue.

Michelle Smith

Bastrop, Texas