Help with squeaky pedals

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4 at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 6 17:04:00 MDT 2006

Hi, Mark.  No you are not incompentent.  Every one in the business gets to
chase a few noises from time to time.  What I do with squeaks in pedals is
to eliminate as much mechanism as possible.  This means crawling under a
grand, finding the little dowel that goes up through the key bed to lift the
damper tray.  I put a flat screwdriver blade between the dowel and lifter
and move the dowel up and down.  If is squeaks, remove the dowel from the
bottom if it's convenient, put some lubrication on the ends, install it and
try again.  If it still squeaks, the noise coming from the damper tray, or
possibly damper lever(s).  If it didn't squeak, push up on the lifter to
check its bearings.  No squeak, move to the next "link" and move the
trapwork with it.  Keep going until you are down to the pedal itself.  New
bushings won't always stop the squeak.  Put some lubrication on the new
bushings and make sure there is no corrosion rubbing on moving.  I recommend
you find a bottle of Alene's Tacky Glue.  It comes in a variety of mixes.  I
buy the one in the brownish bottle.  It's thick, no runs, and does not soak
into anything.  Super glue can find it's way through porous material and
make both sides hard.enough to cause a squeak.  I like to use a silicone
stick of lube.  It looks like candle wax in a round tube. It stays where I
put it.  I think it's called "panf" or something similar.  It won't dry out
or creep.

Any bushings you find warn should be replaced.  This can kill a squeak and
it gets the parts in alignment.

Hope this helps.

Let me know.

Paul C