Brass decal

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Jul 7 10:16:54 MDT 2006

At 10:45 am -0400 7/7/06, ed440 at mindspring.com wrote:

>Anyone on line have recent experience with Steinway brass fallboard decals?
>
>Just got a call from my refinisher.  He cannot get the decal to
>release properly from the backing sheet.
>
>I.e. instead of releasing from the back sheet and staying stuck to
>the clear front sheet, when he tries to lift the decal, it releases
>from the front sheet and stays stuck to the white backing sheet.

Sounds like he hasn't done it before and is working upside down.  If
the decal is the same as the ones I use then you need to put the
decal upside down, get a corner of the thick white sheet up and
carefully peel this off to expose the adhesive.  The transparent
sheet over the right side must remain attached to the lettering until
after the name has been properly pressed down onto the prepared (but
not "finished") fall.  Once the letters are perfectly flat and stuck
to the fall, then the cellophane will peel off very easily, since it
adheres to the brass only by vacuum, perhaps with the aid of a very
light gum.

After that the French polish or lacquer needs to be painstakingly
built up to the level of the top of the letters or the first child or
duster that gets near the piano will have the name off in a flash.

JD