post pitch-raise creep?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Jul 7 16:03:34 MDT 2006

> What do fellow listers experience as the average amount of time a piano needs to settle from a pitch raise before it is ready for a fine tuning from 20 cents?  50 cents? 100 cents?
> Alan Eder, RPT

As Terry and Patrick said, instantly - with one small problem.
If the strings haven't adequately rendered through the bridges
by the time you've finished with the fine tuning, those that
haven't will to some degree in the next few days and weeks,
and trash the tuning. It probably won't go far off pitch, but
the unisons get ragged quickly. So any lingering instability
from a pitch raise, or any tuning for that matter, isn't a
function of time, it's a function of friction at bearing
points as string segment tensions try to equalize. If we had a
way to detect segment tension differences while we were
tuning, we'd all leave much more solid tunings behind.

Ron N