Piano Wire Cannisters

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 7 19:52:29 MDT 2006

"May I have your opinions (and rants) as to the best way to use the tin 1 lb. piano wire cannisters?"

I've been using them pretty much since they were first introduced. A few tricks: 1. remove the wire from the center. The wire tag is on the outer end wire nib and I leave it there so that I can read it through the hole in the cannister. 2. put a tight bend in the outer wire nib so that it will hook, tightly around the "x" metal holder arm. Center the "x" holder on the spool of wire and bend the "ears" down flat. Then bend the tips up at a 45 degree angle.Once I've done that, then I remove the wire crimps, making sure that I have a good hold of things while doing it. Also, I bend the center nib of wire, at right angles with about a two-three inch "tail". (it will be across the coil.) 3. Put the wire/holder into the canister with the "ears" up. Put the top on and screw down. You'll be able to see the inner "tail" through the top hole. Grab it with your pliers and pull out for use. 4. When you are done with that size, put the 2"-3" "tail" bend on and put the wire back in the canister, ready for next time. 5. I place the cannister on the floor and just pull the wire out, as needed. This allows the cannister to "spin" as you extract the wire. I have a scrap piece of pinblock clamped to the key bed, (on grands), and I insert the ready end into that, so that it's ready to grab w/o having to bend over to the floor. I usually pre-cut for a given wire size and put them, (bent end), into the pinblock, in order.
Once you get used to the cannisters, you'll never put up with the 1/3rd lb. coils with brake or some other system. It goes smoothly and doesn't interfer with the stringing process.
BTW, ALWAYS mike the wire before you put it into it's appropriate cannister with appropriate LABEL.<G>
Have fun.

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I