Kawai K2 grand

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jul 8 03:55:12 MDT 2006

I have not used super glue on bridge pins, although many have reported good
results with its use. I have reset bridge pins in epoxy with excellent
results many times.

If you are not tearing the piano apart for any other reason, then
application of thin CA with strings on is likely the best first try. The
archives have lots of info on how folks do this exactly.

The next level might be to loosen strings, pull them aside from bridge pins
and use CA more liberally - remove pins if you can pull them out, etc.

The best way is in the shop. Remove strings, flatten cap to strings groove
depths, renotch, and set new same-size pins in epoxy (unthickened West
System or similar) in original holes.

Please let us know what you did and how it worked.

And before you do any of this, find several bad false-beat strings and apply
a small bit of pressure to the forward bridge pin with a heavy metal object
(tuning lever tip, pliers, etc.). If the false beat clears up significantly,
I think you can expect favorable results from the above procedures. If
nothing changes, they might not get you anywhere.

IMHO, all the above solutions (CA and to a lesser degree epoxy) are band-aid
fixes and should be sold as such. That way the piano owner knows that there
is no guarantee the procedure will work 100%. The proper way to fix the
false beat problem is to design and manufacture them out. However, band-aids
can be very cost-effective and put a smile on the piano owner's face (and
yours!).

Terry Farrell