post pitch-raise creep?

John M. Formsma john at formsmapiano.com
Sat Jul 8 10:46:39 MDT 2006

When I was using the Verituner, 12% in the bass was about right, and I did
the bass last.

25 - 40% seems quite high for the bass, but it depends on how flat things
are, and (I'd guess) it also depends on the lever technique. I'd always
quick "set" the pin, but for times' sake, not like in fine tuning. But if
you're just smooth pulling up to the overpull pitch and not really setting
the pin, I'd guess you'd need a higher overpull. The pins would maybe "set"
around the 10-12% place. ???

Things I do in the bass when doing an aural pitch raise are tune 4:2
octaves, or pure or slightly contracted P4s. That gets you in the ball park
fairly well for a fine tuning.

Ron N's post makes sense of why things shift around after a pitch
correction, and explains why it's good to schedule a follow-up fine tuning
after a pitch correction.

John Formsma