Selling Client Piano

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Jul 10 13:41:20 MDT 2006

I have a church that is selling its grand piano. They have asked me to find a buyer for them. They don't want to be bothered with any aspect of selling the piano other than to open the door for the mover and deposit a check for the selling price.

I believe dealers often charge in the 25% range for a consignment arrangement - but of course I do not have a sales floor to display their piano. However, I can call around, place a few ads, etc. and certainly find a buyer for them willing to pay a fair price.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of arrangement? My question is, what should my finders fee be - what percent of the sale? I'm thinking maybe 10%. Any opinions? I expect the selling price to be about $8K.

Thanks.

Terry Farrell