String replacement under overstrung area

Michelle Smith michelle at cdaustin.com
Mon Jul 10 14:20:46 MDT 2006

Hi everyone.  I was tuning my mom's ancient upright (1908) and of course a
string broke.  Even worse, it was D#4 and in the area where the strings
overlap.  While this was great stringing practice, I have to believe there's
a trick to getting the string where it needs to go (and stay there) without
hours of heartache and assistance from my dad!  I felt like I was torturing
this poor old piano.  Any words of wisdom?

Michelle Smith

Bastrop, Texas