dropped piano

Greg Graham grahampianos at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 11 20:51:12 MDT 2006

Rick,

I reglued the sides of a Wurlitzer last year.  Not a
huge deal.  All it needed after the glue dried was
lost motion adjustments and an unrelated pitch raise.
Happy customer.

The piano was in reasonably good condition, or I would
have strongly urged them to send it to the landfill.

This piano had a two-piece case side, and the lower
pieces were still glued, and acted as a positioning
aid.  The small glue area compared to a full length
side is probably why this joint failed.  I would have
used yellow carpenters glue for a "normal" piano, but
for this one I used epoxy.

It took about 3 hours to tear it down, clean the glue
joints and reassemble the case.  I came back the next
day to remove the clamps, reinstall the keys, adjust
the lost motion and some letoff for another 3 hours.
Add in the first visit to estimate the job (which was
supposed to be a tuning) and a little shop time to
make the clamps.

Photos attached.  If you need more info, let me know.

Greg Graham
Graham Piano Service
Brodheadsville, PA

dropped piano
richard.ucci at att.net richard.ucci at att.net
Tue Jul 11 07:56:25 MDT 2006
List,
I've got a client who dropped their wurly spinet
during a move. Sides are pulling away from the plate ,
and the keybed is now all screwed up. It gets better
when I pull the piano back to original position. What
would be your best remedy for this problem?
Thanks,
Rick Ucci/Ucci Piano