Tuning

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Tue Jul 11 21:28:13 MDT 2006

> Cy wrote:
> "pitch-raising (one pass, every time)"
>
> Every time? Even when the piano is a full step or more flat????????
>
> That would mean you're pulling treble strings in the range of 75+ cents
> sharp......
>
> Shirley you don't really mean.......  ;-)
>
> Terry Farrell

OK kids-----

I rarely do major pitch raises (50-100 cents) at this point in my California
career. Yesterday I did one---100 cents---on a Schumann massive upright,
1906, in a recording studio where I¹m maintaining 3 and soon to be 4
uprights in various stages of decay---the pop music producers that use this
studio love to use the ³old upright² tones as pads, like other people use
synthesizers---we need to maintain and upgrade them mechanically without
disturbing the ³tonal pocket² of old strings and thrashed hammers.  Anyway,
this sucker hadn¹t been tuned in, I¹m guessing, 25-30 years. 1/2 step low.

One quick rough aural pass---setting A4 about 6 cents sharp, no overpull in
the bottom, and maybe 20% overpull in octaves 6-7, less in octave 8. Because
I didn¹t want to break a string I slowed down, and it took me 35 minutes.

One fine tuning; everything except the top 12 notes were about 2 cents flat
when I started the fine pass---my ideal tuning platform. About 75 minutes.

I caressed the coils and the upper bearing points with Protek CLP before I
started.

It was used to record today. The studio owner ³loved it, dude.²

Who says old geezers like me can¹t kick ass?  :--)

David Andersen