Inertia, was "Grand Touch"

V T pianovt at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 12 20:40:50 MDT 2006

Hi Ron,

I think the piano action as we have it today is
reasonably close to its optimum.  There may be a "10%
window" to play around with to improve the typical
settings.  So, we are not talking about dropping the
action inertia into half.  That makes it reasonable to
explore the key leads for the final optimization.

As I mentioned, I have seen the spectrum from no key
lead to lots of it, and it is definitely noticable.
These were well controlled experiments; the actions
all had similar hammer weights and ratios.

All the best,

Vladan

==============================
Ron Nossaman wrote:

Thanks Ed. I've brought this up repeatedly, but it
seems to
fade into quickly receding echoes immediately. The
lead is
there in the key for one reason - to balance the
hammer
weight, at an approximately 5:1 ratio courtesy of the
leverage
train. The inertia effect at the hammer is
considerably
greater than that at the key, regardless of mass
distribution
in the key. So how much dynamic difference does it
really and
truly make in the inertial response of the system,
rather than
in the isolated key, having the key leads smaller at a
greater
distance from the fulcrum, or larger at a lesser
distance with
the same static weigh off? Does anyone have any real information?