My final word (promise) was Blatant commercial endorsement

Alan Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 12 22:07:36 MDT 2006

Is $1300 too much to pay, or an unfair price? No. But it is about DOUBLE the cost of TL even if you have to buy a computer. Ergo, for poor little me, it is pricey.

There are good reasons for it of course. A SAT III, for example, will never reach Wal-mart shelves, i.e., be mass marketed; such products, like many of our specialty piano tools, are only for a very limited market, so development and production costs, never mind profit, can only be recovered at higher unit prices. That's why the Tunelab has an advantage. He develops, maintains, and continuously improves software, but does not have a brick-and-mortar hardware production operation to maintain.

For comparison, here is a current Dell offer and the other associated prices:

Axim X51 416MHz
3.5" QVGA Display
192MB of Memory (128MB Flash, 64MB SDRAM)
Integrated Bluetooth
Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 with Media Player 10 Mobile
Featured at
$299
Now $239
After $60 Rebate Off Instantly!

Tunelab Pocket $340

Spurlock Pocket PC stand $64

Total: $643

You can spend more for fancier, faster computers, or less for used; or you might already have one, or a laptop. Also, the stand is VERY helpful but one could make his or her own or at least delay purchase.

I just hit eBay and searched on "pocket pc" got this: WOW SPRINT PCS PPC 6600 CAMERA CELL PHONE PDA POCKET PC
GPS, BLUETOOTH, MP3 PLAYER, INTEL INSIDE, WARRANTY  --- coincidentally priced (new) "buy it now" at $239

Your cell phone is your ETD ... interesting idea. And there are used Pocket PC's selling for much less.

Did I mention that the little computer does a zillion other things, like keep your addresses, appointments, voice recordings, email, Pacman games, etc., right at hand?

Hope I don't offend--don't mean to--but I could not, in my circumstances, justify paying so much more for other ETD systems/machines/software when there are no clear real performance differences? There are some preference choices and options certainly. Some might strongly prefer the SAT interface, for example, and that alone might justify getting the tool that you like best and make your living with. I have no quarrel with that.

But anyone on a budget, for sure, should at least LOOK at Tunelab (he gives you a free trial). And it has some great features that others don't have, e.g., the real-time spectrum analyzer that is just super for high treble unisons, chipping up new strings, analyzing string problems, etc.

Okay, stepping down from my soap box now.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

PS Come to think of it, a Steinway B is very pricey -- but I'd sure love to have one in my living room. (Or a Mason long A)  Sigh.