Inertia, was "Grand Touch"

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 13 11:46:26 MDT 2006

Jude-

The mathematics of the key lead inertia is so exciting, it's hard to believe it may not be significant. I believe one fellow built a 10 foot key model to demonstrate this. Unfortunately he left out the rest of the piano, which might have given different results.

A fairly good test would be to modify a piano with approximately half the keys with leads at the front and half with leads near the balance rail, randomly distributed.

Then have many pianists play many pieces on the piano and report if they have problems with any particular notes: "G#4 hard to trill; poor staccato on D3" etc.  Or maybe have them do Hanon exercises so every key gets equal use.

Meanwhile, don't forget that the pianist is part of the system, and they come with a wide array of different sized levers and weights, not to mention techniques, so be sure to include an interesting sampling of pianists!

Finally, as Ed Foote mentioned in a recent post, hammer voicing influences the pianists experience of effort required to produce a desired dynamic contrast, so do it all over again with soft, medium and hard hammers.

Then summarize everything into one simple, unambiguous all purpose sentence! ;-)

But seriously, you were not far off from a chance to run this experiment.  Maybe someday, someone will do it.  It wouldn't surprise me to hear that some folks named Kawai may have already done it, but they probably aren't telling.

Ed Sutton