Inertia, was "Grand Touch"

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jul 13 12:21:15 MDT 2006

> One indication of its performance is that Steinway had a patent on the
> accelerated action that covered the inertia issue and stressed the
> importance of having more lead closer to the balance rail.  However, now
> they don't seem to be actually placing their leads closer to the balance
> rail so I have to assume that they didn't think it really important from
> a practical standpoint.

Surely they didn't actually test it years after the patent was
issued and found it unnecessary. Wouldn't they have to file a
patent retraction (an idea that's time has come)? Probably
just saving lead. Then again, their practice of individual key
leading with whatever the weights and friction levels of the
action gave them, would be more easily and "accurately" done
with smaller weights further out than with bigger weights
grouped at the center. Now that I mention it, how does moving
weights in toward the balance rail for better performance
through inertia control reconcile with their custom of
individually custom leading keys without regard to action
friction levels? Doesn't really compute.
Ron N