Key flexing, was "Inertia," was "Grand Touch"

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Sat Jul 15 07:19:01 MDT 2006

It may very well render flexing at key leads irrellevant!  I can't recall the last time I saw a broken key that _did not_ break through the balance pin mortise.  Hardwood plates on top and bottom at the balance rail were common on great pianos of the 1920's, and somehow disappeared by the 1970's.  I'll be adding top plates to one I'm working on this summer, and am tempted to decelerate it as Ron did.

This method of pivoting the keys is inherited from harpsichords, where the stress is not significant. We should be inventing a new way to pivot keys that does not weaken them in the most stressed location.

Ed Sutton

Dean wrote