Digital calipers

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 16 05:30:53 MDT 2006

It's good to make it a habit to "re-zero" before each use.
If accuracy to the thousandth matters, Ron's squeeze is good, and 3 quick measurements will confirm the reading, moving and turning the "measuree" between each reading.  Best is if the measuree is held by nothing but the caliper so there is no diagonal distortion. If that's not possible, squeezing from the jaws like Ron says, let go of the tail of the caliper so the jaws can align to the pin or whatever.
Measuring oval front pins you can rock the caliper back and forth and watch the display for the smallest measurement.
Did anyone mention the value of being able to "zero" on a pin or dowel, then go to the drill case and select the "zero" drill? This can also be done with punchings and cloth and other such joys of the piano shop.
My tired eyes are very grateful for this gadget.
Ed S.