Key flexing, was "Inertia," was "Grand Touch"

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jul 16 10:06:30 MDT 2006

> Would you comment further on the "deceleration" idea.
> I think you are speaking of the removal of the half
> dowel?  I have read that the radius of the dowel was
> not sufficient to actually provide the intended
> "acceleration".  What are you gaining by the
> decelerating?  Less key flexing and anything else?
>
> Bob Hull

The effective key fulcrum changes more through the stroke
sitting on a punching than it does on that half dowel, so that
isn't it. My reason was to be able to stiffen the key, and
eliminating the half dowels gave me room to add a shoe that
effectively did that without having to change key buttons.
I've done it the other way too, adding both a top plate and
long key buttons, and left the half dowels on. This makes a
stiffer key, but is a lot more work.

Ron N