Grand Touch

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sun Jul 16 12:04:59 MDT 2006

Hi Andrew

I'm not sure how the hammershank bushings in the Petrof made/assembled action are actually bushed when you first mention it. I do know that the problem shows up still on the actions put together in Tjekia. Whether its a result of relying on some factory <<tried and true>> proceedure for installing centerpins or some other reason I dont really know.

Schimmels are pretty well made pianos IMHO, tho I for one find their sound a bit less then exciting. They tend to get really brassy over time as well... especially their uprights.

The thing I like about Petrofs vs Schimmels is that with a Petrof you can actually effect quite a big change for the better by addressing various action and vocing issues.  The basic sound picture of the Petrof is IMHO really quite good.

FYI, Roger Jolly is going to do a rather involved seminar at next years Nordic convention using 6 (I believe) Petrof grands.  He was just in Tjekia for some of the preparations for this.  Perhaps he has some insights he'd like to share as well....

Cheers
RicB