Bird-Cage, (Over-Damper), Pianos

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 18 00:31:46 MDT 2006

"I was going to say that the main difference with the bird cage action is
that it has overdampers, so the mechanism is a little different, and the
way you mute the strings is different when you tune. But the rest of the
action is pretty much the same."

Tom,
That is simply NOT true. there are, (essentially), three different types of Over-Damper actions. 1. (the earliest to my knowledge) The hinged Sticker Action. (I'm sure Jack Wyatt will chime in on the "correct" name.<G>) 2. The Flanged "Sticker" Action 3.The "Modern" action with Over-Damper.
Each has it's foibles, the least of which is #3. #1 & #2 are a royal pain to get to function with any consistancy and are a bear to repair.
I've been working on these "beasts" since the 70's and really don't have much trouble with them NOW. There was a long learning curve, as there weren't any Brit Tuners to consult with. They don't think there's anything unusual about them. (Go figger!<G>)

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I