1890s WNG Action Geometry

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jul 18 06:44:59 MDT 2006

I see the photo makes it look like the capstan is leaning forward a bit - that's just a photo angle artifact - the two moved shorter capstans are straight. I wish I could claim to be doing something revolutionary, but that definitely not the case.

Phil saw my post and questioned my capstan movement positions. I just remeasured the original and the two moves. He was right - the moves were not as large as stated. The first, larger, move was 11.5 mm forward and the second move was 8 mm.

I've got the action spread at 113 mm. Those capstan moves were the last thing we did last night and I have yet to accurately regulate things and see exactly what all the ramifications will be - but it seems like we are on the right track. My plan is to modify a few more notes and fully regulate things and get an accurate picture of what's going on. I will report back, as I'm sure we will be looking for a recommendation or two.

Thanks for your input.

Terry Farrell