1890s WNG Action Geometry

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jul 18 18:03:27 MDT 2006

Yes, 4.9, Stanwood. Linear measurements suggest 4.8 (man, you're right on target!). I agree with you - I'm too far forward with the capstan. I'll be trying a location that simple mathimatical interpolation would suggest to yield about 5.5/Stanwood.

Let's see - on one note, the original location was R = 6.24/Stanwood and an 8 mm move yields R = 4.92/Stanwood. So if I target R = 5.5/Stanwood I should move the capstan 4.5 mm forward from the original location.

On the other note, the original location was R = 6.24/Stanwood and an 11.5 mm move yields R = 4.64/Stanwood. So if I target R = 5.5/Stanwood I should move the capstan 5.3 mm forward from the original location.

So I guess my next try should be with about a 5 mm move forward from the original location. And of course, the increase in wippen heel height will be smaller as I adjust that to have the heel/capstan interface on the magic line at half-blow.

I'll give that a try on a few notes and fully regulate them - that'll give me something specific to talk about then. Thanks for your (and all others!) input.

Terry Farrell