Magic (splitting hair) lines

william ballard yardbird at vermontel.net
Wed Jul 19 21:58:35 MDT 2006

On Jul 19, 2006, at 8:47 PM, John Delacour wrote:
> It is in this state that a) all the static friction needs to be
> overcome and b) the normal force is at its greatest. Once things
> are moving, at whatever velocity -- and even the maximum velocity
> in this case is low -- then we are dealing with kinetic friction.

Don't forget as well that on top of the normal force (essentially
gravitational) there is additionally the force of inertia, as the
parts resist whatever amount of acceleration the pianist is trying to
push them into. As the finger/hand/arm and the action parts reach a
consensus velocity, the acceleration all but tapers off as will the
force of inertial resistance. But the force of inertia is also
highest at the start  of the stroke

Mr. Bill