tuning pin torque

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Thu Jul 20 13:46:57 MDT 2006

Hi all.

Here in Belgium, the average humidity level is 50 %.  I really like the 90 in lbs figure.  Here, at 120 in lbs, the pins tend to jump (and to wear out my arm), while at 60 in lbs, I feel it is the ultimate limit where the note will stay in tune, at least in the long bridge section (in the bass, I think it won't hold).  I measure torque with string on tension or not, in any case just comparing torque clockwise with torque counter clockwise, and considering the half of the sum of those two values to be my reference value.  Anyway, the difference between the two readings is never that large.  At 90 in lbs, I am happy.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.