Longer dampers than original

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Jul 21 10:04:25 MDT 2006

It is a good idea "to replace dampers on an old upright with ones that are longer". I highly recommend getting a copy of Bill Spurlock's paper on Vertical Damper Replacement http://www.spurlocktools.com/id36.htm .  Piano Forte Supply has 55 mm and 67 mm long upright bass dampers:  http://www.pianofortesupply.com/dampers1.html

Yes, you could measure the spring tension with a spring gauge, but any old upright is likely to have very weak wires. Consider replacement - and it is often easier to replace the entire damper lever assembly.

I guarantee you, you don't want to mess with upright dampers without Bill Spurlock's paper in front of you. Only $2.50 and worth hundreds easily.

Terry Farrell