Voicing and the Verboten area (Area 51?)

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Fri Jul 21 13:43:06 MDT 2006

Hi everybody.

Me too, I wouldn't finish a voicing job without adressing the crown of the hammers.  For me, it is a way to voice the timbre, as opposed to voicing the volumes at different levels.  Indeed, the first crown shallow voicing doesn't last that long, but then I redo it after some playing, and I see that it holds quite well.  My problem has always been that this timbre voicing steals some power at all levels.  But then, I prefer a charming timbre than a loud banger.  While for timbre (and dynamics), I always start at tweeking a little the strike point, which gives more obvious results when the crown is still untouched and firm.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.