Hot Yamaha

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jul 22 08:25:47 MDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
> This may not be too hot of a topic with most of you,
> but I would like a little advice.
>
> The first question is: Will 100 degree F, be damaging
> to a piano as it rides in a trailer for 2 days?  I
> don't think glue joints will suffer in this
> temperature.  Is this any different than what new
> pianos are customarily subjected to as they are
> transported across the country in the summer?

Not to worry as the local "Famous NY Piano Manufacturer" dealer has semi
trailers full of new pianos sitting in an unshaded blacktop parking lot in
August (monsoon season) in Tampa, Florida for a week before their local
"University Piano Sale".

I shouldn't think 100 degrees would pose any problem. Actually, the higher
heat will help to keep the relative humidity down.

> I will be transporting a Yamaha grand from Miami to
> west Tennessee next week and I am concerned about the
> heat. (The piano was originally purchased in Paris
> while this pianist was studying.)
>
> I'm considering installing vents to intake and exhaust
> air, creating some air flow thru the trailer.  Next
> question:  Would you say that the hottest air would
> rise and exhaust thru the vent in the roof thereby
> helping to control the temperature somewhat?

Perhaps, but I recommend monitoring RH. Again, if it is hot a muggy outside,
the higher temperature in the trailer will help to keep the RH down - you
may find that you don't want any vents in the trailer.

Terry Farrell