Pianotech Digest, Vol 1277, Issue 90

Arbeau Piano ArbeauPiano at comcast.net
Sat Jul 22 11:45:37 MDT 2006

This is an interesting concern as I have for many years suggested and myself
do clean the keytops of my customers keys with  a glass cleaner diluted 50
percent with water if plastic (ammonia is too strong if at full strength in
glass cleaner) and  use only "Cory" Key-Bright if on real Ebonies and Ivory
keys.
A piano dealer had me replace the key tops on a customers brandnew two month
old Samick  console that had these fine cracks on only the plastic white
keys. This piano had been serviced for its first time by the stores tuner
and supposedly this was by the customers opinion the cause of what ever the
tuner did to their keys. I've never seen this before on a brand new piano.
This piano was in a home with lots of animals and not a very "health
environment". I wonder if this piano may have been "cleaned" with some sort
of "disinfectant" for the tuner's protection.
Gerald Arbeau