Story and Clark not tuned for 30 years!!

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Sun Jul 23 14:00:53 MDT 2006

I took that course in 1975.
All it does is get you started. Then you must seek out the proper
knowledge. For me it was the PTG.
There was a survey done, and I believe the ASPT, was considered the
worst course. Mind you, it might have improved since then.
Anything they say, don't take as gospel, check it out from another
source.
The one good thing that they did, was to get me started in one of the
best jobs there is, with some of the nicest people I have met, and
continue to meet at the different conventions.
Oh yes, what started this all. In most cases I always bring the piano up
to pitch, explaining to the customer the chance of string breakage.
Depending on the situation, I bring it up a tone or semitone at a time,
and do the tunings one after the other in one day.
Sometimes strings break, and sometimes they don't, and the age of the
piano, seems to have nothing to do with it. Sometimes the string
breakage occurs with one guage of wire, in a piano. Which might require
the replacement of that guage.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.
jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca