Yamaha Yellow Key Fronts

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Jul 24 16:30:24 MDT 2006

At 11:04 pm +0100 24/7/06, John Delacour wrote:

>I have never yet come across a substance, be it wood, ivory,
>celluloid, galalith, bakelite or what not that discoloured to any
>depth. You have the stuff to hand; it will take you 2 minutes with
>the Fre-cut to see if is the rare exception.

It's possible also that you can bleach the material and it would do
no harm to try this.  What I would try is

1. Warm saturated solution of oxalic acid
2. 12%-18% cream peroxide in sunlight or UV light
3. Cream peroxide + ammonia fumes.

1. Is unlikely to work but is worth trying.
2. You can buy cream peroxide from any hairdressers' supply outlet
3. If you use ammonia fumes, isolate the fronts as much as possible
from the rest of the key.  For example cut a slot in the side of a
shoebox and insert a few keys with the fronts daubed with peroxide
cream.  Put a dish of ammonia in the box and cover it.  If this
method works it will work quite fast.  No UV light is needed.

No guarantees but these are things I would try myself since I have
these products always to hand for other work, where they work like
magic.

JD