should I repair, replace, retreat, or recommend a recking ball on Thomas vertical?

Mark Ultsch multsch at jvlnet.com
Tue Jul 25 09:56:00 MDT 2006

hi folks,

I've run across an "interesting" non-standard piano with an
uninteresting problem.

It is a Thomas model PT vertical.  Serial no. 041384.  The nameplate
lists the manufacturer as Thomas Organ of Sepulveda California.
Pierce atlas lists only Thomas Piano (not Thomas Organ) as being from
Sepulveda.  So, how old is this, anyway?

The theory of operation is standard, but the only action components
that look standard are the damper felts, hammers and shanks.  It
certainly isn't a high-grade piano, but is intriguing from an
mechanical design standpoint.

The plate is a weldment and the keybed (also a weldment) is attached
to it with machine screws and locator pins.  The action is removed
extremely easily by flipping two spring steel clips on the top of two
action brackets.  Components are either plastic or stamped steel.  For
instance, the spoons are an integral part of the wippen formed from
sheet stock.  Backchecks are stampings with  buckskin glued to them.
Adjustments (including key height and dip) are made with plastic jack
screws.  Wippen, hammer and damper flanges are insert injected plastic
pieces with (what appears to be) spring steel inside.  They fit into
approx 1/2" channel rails like mini plastic clothes pins with the
springs reversed.  I can't find any screws holding these in place,
either.

The problem is the damper flanges have a small protruding ear that
retains the damper (torsion) spring end.  The spring torsion places
tension on the ear and many of these ears in the bass flanges are
broken off, leaving the dampers to freely wander in space somewhere
between the strings and the damper stop rail.

Questions:  Are these flanges of the soon-to-be-powder plastic type
like old plastic flanges or elbows?  Are new flanges available and, if
so, will standard center pins work?  Or, I'm wondering if I can get a
dab of epoxy to serve as a prosthetic ear on the existing broken
flanges to hold the spring end (I'll try gluing a broken piece but I
doubt it, though).  Is it worth it to replace or repair?

Disclaimer:  Please correct me if some of my observations may be off a
bit:  It's bifocal time.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Mark Ultsch, RPT
Madison Chapter