Kranich and Bach upright

Alan R. Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 26 11:44:43 MDT 2006

I feel your pain and hear your plea but your question, if there is one, is too broad and vague. K&Bs can be a little quirky to work on but don't let it defeat you.
I assume this piano has wooden rocker capstans and may also have a short secondary set of stickers, on their own rail attached to the piano, not the action, and that these little "stickerettes" are attached to the ends of the keys. Is this correct?
Wiggling hammers and dampers suggest that the center pins have floated halfway out of each flange. If so, you will see them peeking out. Or the flange bushings have worn away or fallen out or some such. The only good fix is to repin with a larger center pin and rebush where necessary. Not a particularly difficult job but it will take considerable time.
When you say the action won't line up right, what are you describing? Are the brackets sitting properly on the support ball bolts? Important check in an older piano: Are the screws tight on all the rails? Are any of the rails split?
Come back, over ...

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO
Joshua 24:15