A 435 or A 440 ?

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Thu Jul 27 00:27:25 MDT 2006

Greetings,

         IMHO, I dont believe that a perfect pitch hearer would hear it to
any great degree. I'll tell you why: I have had music teachers that claim to
have perfect pitch never complain about a piano being a couple beats sharp in the
more humid months and flatter in the winter heating months.

         I also had a few customers who claim to have perfect pitch, never
notice that their piano was flat after being tooned by tooners that never
correct the A that is suppose to be A-440, and merely toon the whole piano to the A
that is there(!), never correcting the starting pitch.  When I took over a few
of these pianos I would ask them if they noticed that the whole piano was
alittle lower than it should be they said, no. What they did notice, however, is
that what was ssuppose to be equal temperament, was not so equal. I think they
are more sensitive to relative pitch, than they are about a piano being just
a few beats sharp or flat.

      Also in tuning training, I was told that the human ear only really
begins to notice pitch difference when it becomes 15 beats or more, sharp or flat.
So, I would say, no they wont notice a few beats.

         I would tune this piano you mention at 435, maaaaaybe 436, possibly
it was designed to only take that much tension. A beat or 3 wont be detected.
Again IMHO.

Julia Gottshall
Reading, PA

In a message dated 7/26/2006 1:04:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,