Action Frame Front Rail Repair

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Jul 28 12:48:08 MDT 2006

  ----- Original Message -----
  John M. Ross wrote:
  SNIP
  How did you end up getting the accurate spacing?
  Did you make a template, and then route out for the inlay of new wood?
  No, it looks like you just cut out, and inserted a new section.

  I followed Ron Nossaman's advice and drilled the pin holes from the top through the rail - that way the holes in the bottom of the rail mark my pin locations. However, in this case it was less than perfect because many of the holes on the top side were rather distorted and it was difficult to really see where the original hole was. I ended up doing a lot of measuring and dividing. I don't have the keys to install (they're in another shop), so I don't yet know exactly how successful the key-to-key  spacing is. But I think it will be pretty good.

  In that case, why didn't you just make a complete new rail? It seems to me,
  it would have been easier than splicing in two new pieces. Or am I mis-
  interpreting what I see.

  IMHO, a new rail would have been much more difficult to make. The way I did it, I had the pin locations fairly well nailed down, and routing and cutting two little strips of maple went fairly quickly.

  Terry Farrell