removing key leads

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Sun Jul 30 15:15:56 MDT 2006

Debra Feiger wrote:

> Can someone tell me the tool(s) they use to remove key leads?  Thank you
> --
> Debra

For keyboard weigh off in the shop, I've recently started using an arbor
press (Harbor Freight). I can't find the source for the idea but I'm
guessing a Journal article by John Hartman.

The pix below show how a 3/8" bolt with head cut off inserted into a
drilled and tapped hole in the arbor can easily press out key leads.
Leaving part of the head on would provide a larger surface for pushing
on 1/2" and 5/8" leads, to avoid swaging the lead any further.

I use different size bronze bushings to support the reverse side of the
key. The nice thing about the press is that arbor and bushing are always
in alignment and there's no guessing where to position the key.

The press is also good for putting in new leads. I drop a modified bolt
in the bushing hole to back up the lead.

The plier-type DeadLeader is good for working in the field - sometimes
it's possible to pop out a lead without removing the stack. If you want
to reduce the weight of a lead, you can quickly take it out, shave of a
little with a chisel, and reinstall. But for shop work, the press is
easier on the anatomy.

Tom Cole