Startlingly Stable Steinway

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Sun Jul 30 17:13:36 MDT 2006

Alan R. Barnard wrote:

> You'll think I'm making this up or exagerating but I'm not ...
>

> 1906 AIII, had serious issues when I first saw it.

Bingo! You're making it up. They didn't start making the AIII until
1914! :-D

> Sat down and noodled a few notes. It DID sound good. Got out the gear
> and started to tune. A4 center string was dead-on A440 and I mean dead
> on, exactly at A440!

Nice save. The last bad restringing job, I had to tell the owner it
needed a new pin block (and strings and pins). The previous tech had
pounded in the pins without using a jack and there was no torque in the
bass. :-@  It didn't help that the block was only screwed to the plate -
no liner or stretcher support anywhere.

> The only real aggravation left is that this piano plays like a Mack
> truck. Very heavy and way out of regulation. She likes it that way,
> what can you say. And BTW, she was a concert pianist and can still
> --heavy action and all--bring Beethoven and Brahms out of that piano
> that'll give you goose bumps.

Friction or geometry problem?

> It's an interesting life.

Yeah. It keeps me looking forward to Monday.

> Alan Barnard
> Salem, MO
> Joshua 24:15

Tom Cole