was Dead-On Unisons - Plague

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 31 07:03:25 MDT 2006

Terry,

  I'm jealous.  16 pianos every two weeks!  I had 8 tunings last week and I have 5 scheduled for this week, and that's it.  I could sure use 16 every two weeks to supplement what else comes my way.

  This area (Chicago and burbs) is crawling with piano tuners.  It's almost like those movies you see of the locusts in Africa, swarming over everything, tuning everything in their path.  There's nary a unison out of tune in the whole Chicago area.

  Speaking of similes between Chicago and Africa, we're supposed to hit 100 degrees today.  I guess I should be happy I have only one tuning today, and with the client in a rather affluent area, I'm sure she'll have air conditioning.

  Maybe I'll go bowl a couple of games this afternoon.

  Tom Sivak
  Chicago

Farrell <mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
  Under most common circumstances, where the piano gets tuned yearly or so, I
agree. However, some pianos are tuned much more frequently.

For example, I tune 16 Yamaha C3s on cruise ships every two weeks. In no way
shape or form do I wiggle each string on every piano every two weeks -
besides, I don't get paid enough to do that. There is no expectation that
these pianos are in concert condition at all times, but they do want them
pretty darn close - and that's what they get. So in this case, on a typical
visit to a ship, some pianos will get a handful of unisons tweaked, some
will get many tweaked, and a couple pianos will get a full tuning (every
string adjusted).

I get a fee significantly less than my standard tuning fee for maintaining
the pianos on the cruise ships - and hence they get significantly less than
a full tuning each appointment - but that is understood and desired by all
parties.

I imagine there are other situations, some churches, performance venues,
recording studios, etc. that see frequent tunings where the pianos see
something along the lines of what I do on the ship. But if they want a
spot-on tuning each time, and they pay your full tuning fee, then they
should get every string tuned.

I think the bottom line is, that if your client is paying you your full
tuning fee, then every string should be tuned - give 'em what they are
paying for.

Terry Farrell