May I quote you on that?

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 31 17:41:04 MDT 2006

List

  I was dismayed to find that I was quoted in the latest PTG Journal.

  It seems as though anything we may write on the Pianotech List can be usurped and published without our permission.  At least, no one asked my permission for the quote and my name published in the Q & A Roundtable in the August 2006 PTG Journal.

I remember some years back, getting an email from Paul Revenko-Jones, asking if he might use one of my posts on Pianotech in his Q &A column.  I agreed, of course.  And I would agree, should someone ask me if they might publish my words again.

  It seems more than just common courtesy to ask permission to publish someone's material.  It seems like the legal way to do something like that.

  I'm not embarrassed by what was written.  Go ahead and read it.  It's just a bit shocking to find your words taken and used for a different purpose.  Words I wrote in response to a fellow tech's inquiries are now part of a published magazine with a subscription price of $70/ year.  Doesn't seem right.  Not without my having the option to say, "No".

  The truth is that I would have agreed to have the material included in the article if I had been asked.  I simply take issue with the fact that I wasn't asked at all.

  I just thought you all would want to know that whatever you might write here, Mr. Granholm may see fit to publish, and not see fit to ask your permission beforehand.

  Tom Sivak
  Chicago