Help scaling

Jason Kanter jkanter at rollingball.com
Mon Jul 31 20:35:56 MDT 2006

List,
I have the task of restringing this Schaff baby grand (see small pic). Unfortunately all scaling information was discarded, along with the old strings and tuning pins, before I showed up. No idea what sizes any of the strings were, nor what gauge the tuning pins were. Also, the plate has been removed (though fortunately not discarded!). I have never done a scaling analysis but am possessed of a very analytical mind, so I am eager to do as much of this as I can myself. But please: what are the steps?

Here are my assumptions.
I will need to replace the plate so that I can take measurements of the speaking lengths, probably to nearest mm or 32nd. (.01"?)
I'll need an app like ScaleMaster or Pscale to crunch some numbers.
I will need to examine the pin block to determine tuning pin size. (Can I measure a hole nondestructively, i.e. without pounding a pin into it?)
I'll need some kind and experienced mentor-type soul to review my analysis before I go to the step of ordering bass strings.

Any help out there?

Thanks

Jason Kanter