wire size

Avery avery1 at houston.rr.com
Sat Jun 3 07:26:54 MDT 2006

Brian,

At 07:38 AM 6/3/2006, you wrote:
>Hello List,
>
>I will be visiting a new client next week and
>she has told me that a string in the middle of
>the piano is broken.  The piano is an old, tall
>upright.  I have several sizes of wire and will
>bring them along with me.  However, the thickest that I have is size 15.
>
>What are the chances that I will need a thicker
>wire than 15 to properly replace the broken string?

I don't have any of my scale stuff here at home
to try & check but I'd say the chances are pretty
good that it will be larger than a 15. Granted,
unless you do restringing jobs, one doesn't need
those larger sizes too often, but when you need
it, you need it. Wire's cheap. Order at least a ¼
lb. pkg. of the larger sizes. :-D

But for next week, is there another tech there
that would loan you some of the larger sizes? Just in case?

Avery Todd
University of Houston