A First Tuning (and tuning / moisture content stability question)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Jun 3 09:54:58 MDT 2006

> Makes sense.  So when you get an old piano that has bridge cap AND
> soundboard compression damage, you get a piano that is stable
> tuning-wise, but is unlikely to sound particularly good.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

That's been my experience, and if a piano has significant
climate related soundboard damage, it will pretty much
inevitably have similar bridge cap damage. If my time machine
wasn't on the fritz and needing parts that haven't been
invented yet, I'd love to fire it up and see what an epoxy
laminated veneer cap will look like in fifty or a hundred
years. It's my intent, expectation, and hope that they will
fare much better than the solid wood caps we fight so much today.

Ron N