Wire Size

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 3 14:38:53 MDT 2006

Ah, come on David! I don't "hate" pianos. There are some that gain my loathing, but that's not the reason to use "Universals". Some pianos are "just make it work" kinds, these are not going to last much longer and the owners are not going to dump a bunch of bucks into them. Example: 1880, Over Damper, English, Rust up the whazzoo, Parts are extremely fragile, owned by an 80 year old spinster on a fixed income......yada! Get the picture? Universals have their place. Especially, if care is taken to install them properly. In order to do that, one needs to have a good micrometer, scaling knowlege, and meticulous skill. It is not a string to replace on a S&S "B" or such, (even though I've done it, in a "pinch" situation.<G>)
I suggest you get your nose out of the clouds and greet the Real World realistically, in this regard. Just my Opinion.
For those who only have high-end clientelle, like you obviously do, then I can understand why you don't use them. For me, Square Grands, Square Pianos, Over-Damper Uprights and a lot of weird, POS pianos, is the norm. (Just did two Square Grands and an Over-Damper piano this week.) (I have over 70 Squares in my Data Base.)

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I