Steinway A

Clark Sprague CSPRAGUE4 at woh.rr.com
Sun Jun 4 09:42:44 MDT 2006

Hello, List.  I am finally down to the wire on a 1903 short A, that has been in the works for over a year, and I am thinking that I need the input from you old hands out there.
    How much does the strike line vary in the killer octave region, when this is necessary?  I am having trouble getting consistent tone, right around  F# 5 to D6.  It is great before and after this.  I knew from the talk around the List that sometimes it is necessary to change the strike line in the Killer Octave area to achieve the best tone, but how much is workable?
    I suspected something amiss, when the hammers that were changed before, were hung at 5" instead of 5 1/8", and the bass hammers had almost no angle on them (2 or 3 degrees).  I created my own samples, and hung the rest to them (Spurlock's jigs are GREAT).  It all worked out well, except this area.  When the action is pulled out, the tone improves dramatically in that area, but how much is too much?  What has been your experiences?  I'm going to have to do something, quickly.  HELP!!
Clark A. Sprague, RPT
csprague4 at woh.rr.com