Steinway A

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Jun 4 11:08:38 MDT 2006

There is no "too much" really unless the tail is contacting the wippen
flange.  Varied strike lines are common on Steinways and 1/8" is not
unusual.  Just set your samples by listening to the tone and hang the rest
according to them.  If the hammers are already hung lay a strip of tape on
the key bed and mark the current key frame/key bed alignment with a pencil
line.   As you go through the section pulling the action out to achieve the
optimum tone, note on the tape the new position of the keybed and mark the
note number.  Do this for every 5 or so notes and the difference between
your original line and the new line will be the amount you have to move the
hammers in on the shank.
Sometimes the line is not straight and will curve inward and then back out.
If you have to move the hammers in very far, be sure that you have enough
clearance at the tail so that it's not hitting the wippen flange.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net