Steinway A

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sun Jun 4 12:02:49 MDT 2006

<<  I am having trouble getting consistent tone, right around  F# 5 to D6.
It is great before and after this.  I knew from the talk around the List that
sometimes it is necessary to change the strike line in the Killer Octave area
to achieve the best tone, but how much is workable?

    I suspected something amiss, when the hammers that were changed before,
were hung at 5" instead of 5 1/8", and the bass hammers had almost no angle on
them (2 or 3 degrees).  I created my own samples, and hung the rest to them
(Spurlock's jigs are GREAT).  It all worked out well, except this area.  When
the action is pulled out, the tone improves dramatically in that area, but how
much is too much?  What has been your experiences?  I'm going to have to do
something, quickly.  HELP!! >>

Greetings,
     My experience has been that 90% of Steinways this old have dead
soundboards in this section. When you say the tone improves, does that mean it simply
is much louder, or can you get a hammer to produce a nice round, mellow at pp
and gradually work up to a full bodied, brilliant tone at FF?  Or does this
area require a very brilliant hammer to get anything?
     All the rescaling and hammer work in the world will not restore the tone
of a dead octave right here.  Chris Robinson's expansion rod might help, but
if there isn't a new board in the piano, that is a huge liability.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT