Steinway A

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Sun Jun 4 12:00:25 MDT 2006

In a message dated 6/4/2006 8:45:05 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
CSPRAGUE4 at woh.rr.com writes:
How much does the strike line vary in the killer octave region, when this is
necessary?  I am having trouble getting consistent tone, right around  F# 5 to
D6.  It is great before and after this.  I knew from the talk around the List
that sometimes it is necessary to change the strike line in the Killer Octave
area to achieve the best tone, but how much is workable?
Clark,

Steinways of that age often had hang distances between 5 and 5 1/16". Bore
distance and rake can also affect strike line. However, the most sensitive areas
are closer to the top, usually not in the 5th octave. I might suspect some
other culprit there. Is the plucked ring time good? What kind of hammers are you
using?

As you move the action in and out, you will hear the most change at C88,
significant change in the octave below that, and less as you go down. Once you're
an octave and a half down, it's pretty subtle.

It's also common for the strike line to be shortest right around the strut
between the top two sections. Sometimes it wants to curve in, then back out a
little closer to the top. I don't remember a lot of trouble with the model A,
more with the B and M.

As far as amount goes, 2mm is common, 3mm is not uncommon. I have seen more
needed, but not often.

Bob Davis