Scaling

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 4 13:47:48 MDT 2006

Joe.
Thanks
Tom Servinsky
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Joseph Garrett
  To: pianotech
  Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2006 12:40 PM
  Subject: Re: Scaling

  Tom asked: "Just unstrung an older Kawai model 500 grand. I was astonished to see that
  their first wire size was a #14. Thinking about rescaling this down in
  tension a bit. Anyone out there have any experience with rescaling this
  mode?. This looks like the pre-cursor to the KG2 model."

  Tom,
  I wouldn't! The soundboards on that model are quite thick and a #14 wire is appropriate. (Ya have to look at the Whole picture.<G>) It behooves you to get a Scaling Program and play around with this sort of stuff.<G> Then practice/experiment on your own stuff. (which entails a lot of "oops! Better Change That!"<G>)

  Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
  Captain, Tool Police
  Squares R I