Dead note puzzler: grand key moves, hammer doesn't

Greg Graham grahampianos at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 4 22:26:55 MDT 2006

A customer with a nicely rebuilt Steinway "B" called
and asked me to fix a "dead" note.  He said the key
moves up and down, but feels light.  The hammer does
not move, and is slightly lower than the others.

I arrive a few days later, and the note in question
(G#6) now functions normally.

The hammer flange pinning was tight in most of octave
6 (one or two swings, which I fixed), but even if the
flange was frozen, that would have locked the hammer
up at the string, not down on the rest felt.

The wippen was slightly misaligned toward the G6
wippen, very close, but not rubbing.  I fixed that.
But even if the wippens were catching on each other,
it seems like that would have locked the hammer up,
not down.

I played the note repeatedly, scales, chords, etc.  No
problem.  I figured I fixed it, though didn't know
how.  Started tuning, worked up to G#6 and gave it a
good test blow.  It went "dead" again.  Just as the
customer had described.  I pulled the action and
removed the wippen, and the cause was obvious.  WHAT
WAS IT?

Hints:  It was not a foreign object jamming the works.
 The wippen was not unglued or otherwise broken in any
way.  This probably would never have happened on
anything but the newer style wippens.

I'm about to give you the answer, so stop reading if
you want to figure it out yourself.

See the attached drawing from the Renner catalog.  The
wippen has the handy new adjustment screw for the
repetition spring.  The screw on this note was run
down several turns more than others on the piano.  The
plastic spring-bearing on the bottom of the screw was
catching on the jack regulating spoon after a very
hard blow.  The hammer was checking very low.  The rep
lever was being pushed down too far by the knuckle and
sticking.  The jack could not return, but the hammer,
wippen, and key dropped back down, with the shank
resting on the cushion, and the jack against the
proximal side of the knuckle.

Fix:  Adjust backcheck for proper increasing
resistance and checking distance.  Back off rep spring
screw and increase spring strength the old way. Bend
the jack regulating spoon slightly, and then realign
the jack with knuckle core.

Test:  Much like testing for backcheck clearance, push
down on the key and hammer at the same time.  After
letoff, see if you can push the hammer down on the rep
lever far enough to make the lever stick.

That was a first for me.  Maybe everyone else has
already been there and done that.

Greg Graham
Brodheadsville, PA