Plan of attack

James H Frazee jimfrazee at msn.com
Mon Jun 5 05:47:29 MDT 2006

Mr. Cole's recommendations are very good but I go a bit further in the process.  First, I use the Potter checklist of Pre-Tuning Inspection which I find completely adequate.
There are really two purposes for this:  1.  to let both you and the client know, in detail, what the "on arrival" condition of the piano is and what must/should/might be done and, 2. to document the condition and protect yourself from later claims (Hey, that melzenpfaffer inverted buvadaranger wasn't broken before!).  I actually provide a written "Technical Inspection Report" of each new piano I encounter, mailing a typed copy to the client and keeping a copy for my follow-up.  At each subsequent visit, I note any changes, record initial pitch levels, temp/humidity, etc.  Also, having a record of the piano's condition, serial number, etc. for your client's sake is good to have in case of future fire, vandalism, etc.  YMMV